NFCI Patiala organized the first round of Mango Fest 2019 on 18 July 2019 at. Mr. Vikas Kumar Mishra (Area Head) and Chef Aditya Karan Singh from Barbeque Nation were invited as Jury. Students prepared traditional dishes with flavor of mango in every pinch of the dish. Best dishes declared by honored Jury members were Mango Milk Cake, Raw Mango Rice, Mango Salsa, Mango Chicken Curry, Pancakes with Mango Jam. Chefs and the Staff Members were very happy to see the enthusiasm of students. We wish them very good luck for the final round of Mango Fest, to be organized at Head office Jalandhar among all 10 centres of NFCI.
The top 5 shortlisted students selected for finale are:
1. Chandan(Mango Chicken Curry)
2. Munmun(Mango Jam)
3. Prince(Raw Mango Rice)
4. Priyanshu(Mango Salsa)
5. Tushar(Mango and Milk Cake)
1. Mango Chicken Curry:
|Chicken breast meat||800 gm|
|Raw mango pieces||2 units|
|Grated ginger||1 tsp|
|Garam masala||2 tsp|
|Vegetable oil||1 tsp|
|Aam ki Launji|
|Mustard oil||2 tsp|
|Black Mustard seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Nigella seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Fennel Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Raw mango pieces||3 pcs|
|Jaggery Palma||3/4 cup|
|Red Chilli powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Black salt||1/2 tsp|
|Chat masala||1/2 tsp|
|Fennel Seeds||1 tsp|
- Heat two tablespoon oil in a pan, add cumin, fennel seeds, black mustard seeds, nigella seeds.
- Add raw mango pieces. Saute it for 3 minutes. Keep stirring. Add jaggery Palma. Mix well.
- Add water. Let it simmer with stirring on intervals until mixture thickens to one string.
- It will take approx 10 min.
- One mixture thickens, switch off the flame.
- Combine marinade ingredients with chicken in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for four hours.
- Heat the oil over high heat in a large frypan and add the marinated chicken and cook for 3 to 5 min.
- Until the chicken is white all over.
- Add mango pieces and salt. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 15 mins Uncovered.
- Seasoned with salt.
2. Mango Jam:
|Lemon juice (optional)||1 tsp|
|Chopped ripe mango||3 cups|
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp lemon juice to a boil over high heat.
- Turn heat down to medium and add 3 cups of chopped mango. Cook for approximately 5 minutes to soften the mango and then mash with a fork or potato masher. Continue cooking until the jam has thickened. The jam will continue to thicken slightly as it cools. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the mango jam to a clean sealed jar and store in the refrigerator.
3. Raw Mango Rice:
|Raw mango peeled and grated||3 tablespoons|
|Cooked rice||3 cups|
|Green chillies||3 pc|
|Oil 1 tablespoon||1 teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 tablespoon|
|Split Bengal gram||1 tablespoon|
|Split black gram||5 pcs|
|Fresh coriander sprigs||1/4 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||9 pcs|
|Curry leaves||1 tablespoon|
|Salt to taste|
|Raw mango slices for garnishing|
- Chop green chillies.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds, Bengal gram, and black gram and saute till the gram turn brown.
- Place cooked rice in another non-stick pan and heat.
- Chop coriander sprigs.
- Add turmeric powder to the pan with the mustard seeds and gram and toss. Mix well and add chopped coriander. Mix well.
- Add curry leaves, chopped green chillies, grated raw mango, salt and sugar
- Add the mango mixture to the rice and mix well.
- Serve immediately garnished with raw mango slices.
4. Mango Salsa:
|Ripe mangos, diced||3|
|Medium red bell pepper, chopped||1|
|Chopped red onion||½ cup|
|Packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped||¼ cup|
|Jalapeño, seeded and minced||1|
|Salt, to taste||⅛ to ¼ tsp|
- In a serving bowl, combine the prepared mango, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño.
- Drizzle with the juice of one lime and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt
- Let the salsa rest for 10 minutes or longer.
4. Mango and Milk Cake:
|Nestle Dry Milk||200 gm|
|White Bread||5 slice|
|Sugar||2 serving sp.|
|Water||3 serving sp.|
|Corn Flour||1 Spoon|
- Take milk, dry milk powder, and one tsp cornflour.
- Dilute with water, mix everything, boil for a few minutes in thickness ( around 10 min).
- Add a few strands of Kesar and 2 cardamoms.
- Leave it to cool.
- Cook sugar syrup ( 2 tsp sugar, 3 serving spoons of water )
- Pour sugar syrup on bread slices.
- Place mango chunks on bread.
- Make a layer of mixture or custard on bread.
- Add another layer of mango.
- Let it cool for a few hours.
- Serve cold.