Chhole bhatura is a dish from the Punjab region in the northern part of the Indian subcontinent. This Punjabi dish is a combination of bhatura (a fried bread made from maida flour) and chana masala (spicy white chickpeas). Chhole Bhatura is eaten as a breakfast meal, sometimes accompanied with cold lassi, however, it can also be a street food. It is served with onions, carrot pickle, green chutney and achaar.
Ingredients for Chhole:
- 2 cup chickpeas (channas)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Bray leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 3-4 Cloves (laung)
- 1 tsp whole pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 Green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 Black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tsp rurmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- to taste salt
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 Tea bag
- 1 tbsp butter
Ingredients for Bhaturas:
- 2 cups maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 tsp yeast (dissolved for 10 minutes in luke warm water)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt
- Water (to knead)
- Oil (for frying)
Method for Chhole:
- In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole pepper corns, green and black cardamom.
- After it gets brown add chopped onions and saute it. Now add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Followed by turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida and salt, fry the ingredients together well.
- For de glazing the pan add a little water.
- Now add the chole (soaked overnight and pressure cooked) to the masala.
- After stirring well add tomatoes, little sugar and salt to the chole.
- Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies and water for the base.
- To get the color in the chole, add a tea bag to the masala.
- Simmer the chole gently for an hour and cover it.
- Add lime juice and a dollop of butter to it.
11. Garnish the chole with coriander and butter and serve them hot with bhaturas.
Method for Bhaturas:
- Knead the whole wheat flour, maida and salt together with adequate amount of water.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top. Leave it for 2-3 hours for the yeast to work.
- Divide it into equal portions. Roll out in an oval or round shape.
- Deep fry till golden brown, like a puri.