Chhole bhatura is a dish from the Punjab region in the northern part of the Indian subcontinent. This Punjabi dish is a combination of bhatura (a fried bread made from maida flour) and chana masala (spicy white chickpeas). Chhole Bhatura is eaten as a breakfast meal, sometimes accompanied with cold lassi, however, it can also be a street food. It is served with onions, carrot pickle, green chutney and achaar.
Ingredients for Chhole:
- 2 cup chickpeas (channas)
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon stick (dalchini)
- 3-4 Cloves (laung)
- 1 tsp Whole Peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 Green Cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 2 Black Cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp Chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 tsp Coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (zeera powder)
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (zeera)
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (heeng)
- Salt according to taste
- 1 cup Onions, chopped
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp Ajwain
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- 1 green Chilli, chopped
- 1 Tea Bag
- 1 tbsp Butter
Ingredients for Bhaturas:
- 2 cups Maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 tsp yeast (dissolved for 10 minutes in lukewarm water)
- 1/2 cup whole Wheat Flour
- A pinch of salt
- Water (to knead)
- Oil (for frying)
Method for Chhole:
- In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole peppercorns, green and black cardamom.
- After it gets brown add chopped onions and saute it. Now add chopped ginger and garlic.
- Followed by turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida, and salt, fry the ingredients together well.
- For deglazing the pan add a little water.
- Now add the chhole (soaked overnight and pressure cooked) to the masala.
- After stirring well add tomatoes, little sugar, and salt to the chhole.
- Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies and water for the base.
- To get the color in the chhole, add a tea bag to the masala.
- Simmer the chhole gently for an hour and cover it.
- Add lime juice and a dollop of butter to it.
11. Garnish the chhole with coriander and butter and serve them hot with bhaturas.
Method for Bhaturas:
- Knead the whole wheat flour, maida and salt together with adequate amount of water.
- Sprinkle the yeast on top. Leave it for 2-3 hours for the yeast to work.
- Divide it into equal portions. Roll out in an oval or round shape.
- Deep fry till golden brown, like a puri.