Do you know grooming and etiquette in the hospitality industry are as essential as skills and education?
Oh, don’t be shock because you read it right.
And, stop scratching your head now. You have landed in the correct place.
‘Your Hard-Work or Technical Skills Can Get You a Job,
But What Keeps You Climbing the Ladder of Success are your
Etiquettes and Grooming Skills’
In this blog, you will get to know detailed knowledge about grooming and etiquette in the hospitality industry. So, please read the blog till the end. Let’s first start with grooming.
What is Grooming?
Grooming is the process of cleaning and caring for one’s body and appearance. It is important to groom oneself regularly to maintain good hygiene and to present a neat and tidy appearance. Grooming can be done independently or with the help of another person. It typically involves activities such as bathing, shampooing, brushing teeth, trimming nails, and styling hair.
Tips of Office Grooming:-
After discussing grooming, we are now moving on to providing you with some tips on office grooming for employees. Office grooming is different for males and females as per their appearance. The tips are mentioned below:
Grooming Tips For Males:-
Grooming shows your personality; therefore, it is a must for males as it is for female staff. The following are given some grooming points which is must for you to must keep in your mind-
- Beard should be Clean/trim: –If you work in hospitality, you must maintain a clean shave look. Some organizations allow trim Beard style, but a long beard look is not allowed until it is related to your religious beliefs.
- Personal Hygiene: No matter how good your clothes would be, nobody will even like to talk with you if you don’t look fresh and hygienic. Personal Hygiene includes clean teeth, fresh breath, a clean body, etc.
- Comb Hair: – Your hairstyle should be decently combed, set, and trim.
- Clothes should be well-maintained: –You should wear decent formal clothes. Always wear Black, grey or blue color formal trousers. Your shirts should be wrinkle-free and of light colors. Also, follow the dress code of your company, if any.
- Use Light Perfume: –Smelling good is not just well-grooming; it is considered etiquette too. Always use light perfumes that match your decent personality.
- Trimmed Nails: – Clean and trimmed nails represent how hygienic you are. Therefore, your nail should be trimmed and clean.
- Shoes should be polished: – Just imagine dirty footwear with clean and crisp clothes. Doesn’t it look awkward? Of course, it does. So, never forget to polish your shoes before leaving for your workplace.
- Gentleman styling: –It means your dressing sense should be decent. Your belt and shoes must be of the same color.
- Clean Spectacles: – Yes, spectacles are also covered under grooming. So, if you are one of those who wear spectacles, they must be clean too.
- Avoid tattoos: – Always keep one thing in mind tattoos are not allowed in the corporate sector. Therefore, it is better not to have any tattoos, but they shouldn’t be visible if you have one.
Grooming Tips For Females: –
The following are given some grooming points to must keep in your mind-
- Personal Hygiene: – Personal Hygiene includes everything from clean and shining teeth to a clean body.
- Decent Clothing: – Your dress and clothing style should be decent and formal. Don’t try to be extra or wear flashy clothes; it will make a wrong impression.
- Smell Good: – Smelling good is a part of well-maintained Hygiene. Therefore, always use mild perfumes to add charm to your personality.
- Properly Done Hair: – Your hair should be appropriately done in a bun or ponytail. A messy hairstyle doesn’t go well with your professional look.
- Minimal Makeup: –We can understand makeup is a girl’s best friend, but never forget you are going to work, not for a party.
- Clean Nails: – Being a female, your nails should be properly clean and manicured.
- Comfortable footwear: – Never wear heels at your workplace; it can make you uncomfortable. Try to wear comfortable or flat footwear.
- Avoid Tattoos: – Tattoos are not allowed in the professional sectors, so if you have any, try to hide them always.
- A Big No to Jewellery: – Who wears heavy Jewellery in the office? Exactly, heavy Jewellery doesn’t look nice in the office. You can wear light Jewellery pieces that complement your dressing style.
- Clean Spectacles: – Your spectacles should be clean if you wear one.
What are Etiquettes?
Etiquettes are the set of rules or conventions that govern social behaviors. They are usually unwritten and passed down from generation to generation. Etiquettes vary from culture to culture and are often specific to a particular social group or situation.
There are a few basic etiquette rules that everyone should follow, such as:
- Being polite and respectful
- Using proper table manners
- Adhering to basic hygiene standards.
However, there are many more specific etiquette rules that can vary depending on the situation.
Importance of Grooming and etiquette in the Hospitality Industry:-
The hospitality industry is all about providing excellent customer service which means that employees must be well-groomed and have good manners. Following, we have mentioned some of the importance of grooming and etiquette in the hospitality industry:
- First impressions are very important in the hospitality industry, so employees must make a good impression on customers from the moment they arrive.
- Well-groomed employees will help to create a positive image of the business, and customers will be more likely to return if they have had a good experience.
- Good manners are also essential, as they show that employees are polite and respectful. This is especially important when dealing with customers from different cultures, as they may have different expectations.
- Good manners and etiquette are important in all social interactions. They make people feel comfortable and respected and help to create a positive impression.
- Etiquette is also important in business and professional situations, as it can impact both productivity and relationships.
We hope that the importance of proper grooming and etiquette in the hospitality industry is clear. In fact, not just in the hospitality or hotel industry, these things are essential for you at every interval of the corporate world.
Do you know you can learn the skills of grooming and etiquette?
Yes, it’s true. There are some hotel management institutions where grooming techniques and hospitality etiquette are taught in their courses. So, if you are interested in being a part of the hospitality sector and want to learn more tips for office grooming, then NFCI- Hotel management and culinary institute, would be the best place for you. Here, you can pursue various hotel management and cooking-related courses. Six months of industrial training in the star hotels is also provided to the students along with the course.
Moreover, NFCI is a hotel management institute that provides both national (NIOS- The National institute of open schooling, and NSDC- National skill development corporation) and international (AHLEI- American hotel and lodging educational institute) certified courses. Then, what are you waiting for? An opportunity is knocking at your doorstep. You can visit NFCI’s official website www.nfcihositality.com to know more.